Every year, CHS develops new activities, social events and community volunteer opportunities for individuals, both at their homes and out in the community. These services are designed to help foster a balance of home and community life for individuals served, especially for people with multiple disabilities, medical needs and other conditions that can limit their participation in community activities.
- CHS sponsors an annual signature series of summer cookouts. Altogether these events include over 300 individuals, family members, staff, and managers who enjoy a great summer BBQ with burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, salads and desserts.
- Families, staff and volunteers have enjoyed Tea Parties, Fiestas and Cookie Swaps.
- Many of our residents volunteer in the community including the Lexington Farmer’s Market, Housing Corporation of Arlington, Feed America program, Disabled Veteran programs and American Red Cross Centers.
- Participants develop “Healthy Habits” through the CHS Walking Club, Nutrition Groups and the Healthy Calendar initiative.
- Volunteers from local garden clubs and churches worked with individuals on home beautification projects such as building wheelchair accessible outdoor living spaces with vegetable and flower gardens, outdoor furniture and BBQ areas.
CHS has a Community Facilitator who assists individuals in care to:
- design and decorate their personal spaces at home
- develop hobbies and new interests
- use the internet to develop community connections
- plan new community activities and trips
- participate in weekly and monthly CHS activities such as Game Night; Book of the Month Club; Healthy Habits Cooking Class; Walking Club and weekend activities
CHS also has a growing group of volunteers who help with maintenance and repairs of homes, yard clean up, horticultural projects and self advocacy initiatives. Read about volunteers from TD Bank, Enterprise Fleet Corporation and local organizations who work side by side with our individuals on a multitude of projects and activities in the community.